St Laurence’s well is located in the townland of Garrylaurence. It is located in a small enclosured area beside a narrow road.
St Laurence is Laurence O’ Toole a 12th century Irish saint who was abbot of Glendalough and later Bishop of Dublin. He died in the monastery at Eu, in Normandy and his tomb in Eu became a place of pilgrimage and many miracles were attributed to his intercession. He was canonized in 1225 by Pope Honorius.
The saints feast day is the 14th of November , but the 9th of August was the main day for pilgrimage at Garrylaurence. Mass is still celebrated there most years in August.
The plaque over the doorway states ‘St Laurence’s Holy Well Renovated by Clonmult Muintir na Tíre 10. August 1969‘.
The nearby church at Clonmult is also dedicated to the saint.