Southern Star. 28. 10. 1972.

Stronger Newcestown Put Out Dungourney

Newcestown 3-6.

Dungourney 1-7.

     Dungourney and Newcestown met at Riverstown on Sunday in the first round of the county junior hurling championship. Despite many other GAA fixtures in East Cork, a very large crowd attended, and weather conditions were ideal for the clash between the champions from their respective divisions. The men from the South-West looked the stronger and heavier combination, but what the Dungourney lads lacked in this respect they very well made up for with a fine fighting spirit and determination and were not prepared to accept defeat till the final whistle. They had to line out with-out two of their most prominent players from the East Cork final-Michael Cahill because of a recent family bereavement, and Michael Hayes who was unable to make the journey from his college in Wales.

     R. Cullinane who came on as a sub in the East Cork final, took the place of M. Cahill, and for one so young and inexperienced a player he really covered himself in glory. Prior to the game a minutes silence was observed in memory of the late Richard Cahill of Dungourney.

     Dungourney won the toss and elected to play against the sun and a strong breeze. They were first to break away from the throw-in and M. Rohan sent a long ball to the Newcestown goalmouth. This attack was readily repelled by the very resolute defence. Newcestown had the opening score, a point in the third minute. Michael Ahern equalised for Dungourney three minutes later. Then Frank Kehily was through for his first goal on the tenth minute. Dick Walsh had a point from a free for the East Corkmen shortly afterwards. Play was fast and furious at this stage, and there was little room for frills or fancy hurling. Newcestown wasted many scoring chances in this half but still managed to add a further goal and a point to bring their half-time total to 2-2. Dungourney had two further points to bring their tally to 0-4 at the half-time whistle.

    Dungourney playing with the sun and wind advantage in the second half, were expected to take the initiative in this period, but it was Newcestown who took over again and added two further points in the first five minutes.


    Dungourney were finding it hard to penetrate the well-knit defence of their opponents, where senior county player Paddy Crowley starred at full-back. In the 40th minute D. Walsh had the opening score for East Corkmen, a point from a close-in free. Newcestown replied with a similar score four minutes later. Dungourney made some positional changes at this point but they did not not seem to have the desired effect. Their great centerfield payer, Mick Mahony, who was having a good game up to this, added a point from close on 70 yards out. Newcestown were back again for another minor score with ten minutes to go, and had yet another two minutes later.

    It looked at this stage that the men from the South-West were well set for victory. Dungourney introduced two subs, Davy Hennessy and Maurice Ahern, who by the way had three brothers already playing, and one of them right half forward Michael, sent over a nice point from fifty yards. Shortly afterwards Maurice gained possession twenty yards out and crashed home a great goal. This was the long delayed tonic the men of the Green and Gold needed. Now the stage was set for this dramatic final scene.

     Backed by the resounding cheers from the huge East Cork following, the Dungourney lads set about the task in great fashion. It looked at last as if this impregnable barrier could be penetrated. Who then could be more fitting to play the leading role in this grand finale than their great centre-forward, Anthony Kelleher, nephew of the Dungourney All-Ireland captain. He raced across for a ball to the left wing, gained possession, side-stepped his opponent for an opening in the left corner, and from a difficult angle sent a lightning shot for goal. The ball crossed the goal line, went through the side-netting well inside the right-hand goalpost.

     The umpire holding the white flag J. J. Kelly, indicated to the other official that a goal had been scored. This was ignored however, no green flag was raised, and so Dungourney were deprived of this very vital score at a crucial stage of the game. They should have been one point ahead at this period, and with less than five minutes to go it is very doubtful of they would so easily concede the goal the winners got before the final whistle. Incidentally everybody who was close to the goal area, including the Newcestown defenders, admitted afterwards that the goal had been scored.


     The East Corkmen however need not be despondent, as with so many young players of the calibre of Richie Cullinane, Maurice Ahern and Dave Hennessy to call upon, their prospects for the future are bright. Returning thanks to the Dungourney dressing-room after the game, the Newcestown captain Sean Crowley, outstanding centre-field player and fine sportsman, stated that his team-mates and himself were honoured at having played against and naturally having defeated a team with the great hurling tradition that Dungourney could lay claim to. He also admitted that it was one of the most sporting, hardest and cleanest games he had ever played in.  

  Newcestown- T. J. Collins, P. Glavin, P. Crowley, F. Collins, F. O’Neill, D. Kehilly (0-1), S. McCarthy, T. Crowley (0-1), J. Crowley (Captain), A. O’Halloran, A. O’Flynn (0-1), G. O’Callaghan (0-3), N. Kehilly, K. Callanan, F. Kehilly (3-0). Sub: J. O’Leary (0-1) for N. Kehilly.

Dungourney- E. Colbert, T. Rigney, J. O’Mahony, D. Ahern, J. Aherne, P. Cronin (Captain), Richard Cullinane, Michael O’Mahony (0-1), M. Rohan, Michael Ahern (0-3), A. Kelleher (0-1), B. O’Meara, D. Walsh (0-2), D. Casey, William Ahern. Subs: Maurice Ahern (1-0) and D. Hennessy for D. Casey and D. Walsh.

Referee: D. Owens (St. Nick’s).

Clonmult Community Event Calendar